Subscribe via email

Monday 20 September 2010

actor Michael Caine has revealed that he had a close shave with Russian mafia

actor Michael Caine has revealed that he had a close shave with Russian mafia while shooting in the country for one of his films in the 1990s.

Michael was filming scenes for his 1996 movie ‘Midnight in Saint Petersburg’ and was assigned two machine gun-toting guards to protect him from the local mob.

However, he soon realized he was safe when the gangsters told him they were bankrolling his movie and he’s not on the list of hitmen.

“I was sitting in my usual corner of the cafe when one of the mafia guys came over and asked if he could join me. As if I could possibly say no. Why do you have all these stupid bodyguards?’ he asked. I replied to him all innocently, as if I had no idea of his occupation: ‘They say that there’s mafia here in St Petersburg and I’m worried about our safety,” the Daily Star quoted him as he saying in his autobiography ‘The Elephant To Hollywood.’

“He let out a great laugh and slapped his thigh. ‘You work for…’ and he gave the name of a Russian movie company that I didn’t quite catch. Did I? He stood up and said: ‘We own that. There’s no need to worry - you’re the safest man in the whole of St Petersburg,” he explained further.

Even after the gangster’s assurances, Caine called it the worst professional experience he ever witnessed.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates